If you’re hesitating between two of the newer Apple Watch models, you’ll end up with the Apple Watch Series 7 and Apple Watch SE. They are, besides the Apple Watch Series 3, the only two models that Apple still sells and will also be available at other retailers in the coming months. If you don’t know which of the two to choose, we’ll help you with this comparison between the Apple Watch Series 7 vs Apple Watch SE.
Differences Apple Watch Series 7 vs Apple Watch SE
The differences between the Apple Watch Series 7 and Apple Watch SE focus on five areas: the screen size, the type of screen, the health functions, the chip and the design. These can be crucial differences for you, although we also understand very well if these differences do not make the difference for you.
#1 Screen size: just a fraction bigger
The Apple Watch Series 7 has a larger screen than the Apple Watch SE and therefore also comes in two slightly larger sizes. The display is about 20% larger, which is mainly possible thanks to the thinner screen edges. The display is therefore much closer to the housing itself. You get two exclusive dials for that, which use the entire display. The case of the Apple Watch Series 7 is therefore slightly larger: 41mm and 45mm instead of 40mm and 44mm. More content fits on the display and there is also a full keyboard.
#2 Always-on: a screen that is always on
There is another important difference between the display of the Apple Watch Series 7 vs Apple Watch SE: the always-on function. The screen of the Apple Watch Series 7 is always on, even if you are not looking at the watch and your arm is hanging down. You never have to tap the screen or turn your wrist to check the time. Apps can also use this. This is especially useful during sports, cooking or other situations where you can’t always turn your arm easily. Some also simply find it nicer that the screen is never black.
#3 Additional health sensors
The Apple Watch Series 7 has all kinds of extra functions in the field of health. You can make an EKG, or a heart film, and it measures the oxygen level in your blood thanks to the Saturation app. The EKG lasts thirty seconds and can detect, for example, signs of atrial fibrillation. The EKG app has also received a medical examination. The saturation meter does not have this inspection and is therefore more intended for general fitness and health purposes. The function also works at night while you are sleeping.
#4 Better chip
In the Apple Watch Series 7 you will find a slightly better chip. It concerns the S7 chip, which in terms of specifications is almost the same as the S6 chip of the Apple Watch Series 6. The Apple Watch Series 7 is therefore 20% faster than the Apple Watch SE, which contains an S5 chip. In terms of speed, this is again almost the same as the S4 chip of the Apple Watch Series 4. If you use apps on your Apple Watch a lot, this can be an important difference.
#5 Design: net even anders
The two models also differ in design, although one is no better than the other. The overall design is largely the same, but the difference is in the colors. With the Apple Watch SE you can choose gold and the more neutral colors space gray and silver. For the Apple Watch Series 7, Apple has chosen more pronounced colors, namely midnight (a kind of dark gray with a blue tint), starlight (a kind of champagne-like color), green, blue and red. If you have had an Apple Watch before, it is also wise to see which colors best match your current bands.
In addition to these important differences, there are other differences:
- Price: The Apple Watch Series 7 is €130 more expensive than the Apple Watch SE: from €429 vs. from €299.
- Dimensions: The Apple Watch Series 7 measures 45 x 38 x 10.7/41 x 35 x 10.7, while the Apple Watch SE measures 44 x 38 x 10.7/40 x 34 x 10.7. That also makes the Apple Watch Series 7 2.6 grams heavier in the large version and 1.5 grams heavier in the small version.
- U1: The Apple Watch Series 7 has an ultra-wideband U1 chip. It’s not very widely used at the moment.
- Faster charging: Do you often wear the Apple Watch at night? Then the 33% faster charging on the Apple Watch Series 7 may come in handy.
- Dust resistance: Apple has redesigned the display, giving the Apple Watch Series 7 an IP6X rating for the first time, making it dust resistant.
- Environment: In terms of durability, the Apple Watch Series 7 scores slightly better. More parts of the Apple Watch Series 7 are made from 100% recycled materials.
Similarities Between Apple Watch Series 7 vs Apple Watch SE
In addition to the differences, the two models also have many similarities. There are actually too many to mention: a third-generation optical heart rate sensor for measuring your heart rate and calories, a built-in compass, an always-on altimeter, built-in GPS for tracking your route during a workout, improved speaker and microphone and water resistance up to 50 meters. You will also find functions such as fall detection, Apple Pay, the Sound app and more on both models. In addition, you will find 32GB of standard storage on both the Apple Watch Series 7 and the Apple Watch SE.
So basically you have exactly the same Apple Watch, with which you can do almost the same things. The Apple Watch SE also offers almost the complete Apple Watch experience, except for a few non-essential health functions.
Conclusie Apple Watch Series 7 vs Apple Watch SE
As you can see, the Apple Watch Series 7 and the Apple Watch SE are not that far apart. Do you want the best and largest display, do you want to take as many body measurements as possible and have you fallen in love with one of the new colors? Then the Apple Watch Series 7 is for you. But if you buy an Apple Watch for the first time or if you have an older model and measuring your heart rate, calories, using some apps and viewing notifications is the main thing you do with the Apple Watch, then you can do just fine. get along with the Apple Watch SE. For € 130 less you also have a very strong smartwatch on your wrist and most people will not miss the extra possibilities of the Apple Watch Series 7.
Go buy the Apple Watch Series 7 if…
- …you want the very latest Apple Watch.
- …the screen is very important to you.
- …you want a screen that’s always on.
- …you want to do more with the Apple Watch. The larger screen makes apps just a bit more pleasant.
- …health functions such as the EKG and oximeter are important to you.
- …you would like one of the new aluminum colours.
Apple Watch Series 7 in 41mm
Apple Watch Series 7 in 45mm
Go buy the Apple Watch SE if…
- …you want an up-to-date Apple Watch for the lowest possible price.
- …you only use the Apple Watch to keep track of workouts and your activities, notifications and a few apps.
- …you prefer a neutral color for aluminum, such as silver or space gray.
- …you never wear the Apple Watch at night. You don’t need extra fast charging.
Apple Watch SE in 40mm
Apple Watch SE in 44mm
Want to compare more Apple Watches? In our large Apple Watch comparison you will find many more models and differences. We also have some other comparisons for you: